You might be thinking how can you look for sponsorship to advertise on your podcast. Actually, you can run your sponsorships in a variety of ways, one of which is by finding advertisers through your podcast host. Do you want to learn how? Then keep reading?
Podcast hosts like Libsyn and Blubrry, for example, frequently contact shows hosted on their service with advertising opportunities.
They usually do this only if your show is in a genre of podcasts that an advertiser is interested in, or if your show has a lot of downloads.
The advantage of selling your ad spaces in this manner is that the advertising is coordinated through the host, but the disadvantage is that they take a cut of the sale.
Find the right Advertisers for your podcast
Finding advertisers for your podcast can be a great way to monetize your content and generate revenue. Here are some tips on how to find advertisers for your podcast:
- Identify your target audience: The first step is to determine who your target audience is and what they are interested in. Advertisers will want to know this information in order to determine if their product or service aligns with your audience.
- Create a media kit: A media kit is a document that outlines the key information about your podcast, including audience demographics, download statistics, and information about your content. This can be shared with potential advertisers to give them an overview of your podcast.
- Reach out to potential advertisers: Once you have a media kit, you can start reaching out to potential advertisers. Look for companies that align with your podcast’s niche and contact them directly to see if they are interested in advertising on your show.
- Join podcast advertising networks: There are several podcast advertising networks that connect podcasters with advertisers, such as AdvertiseCast, Podcorn, and Midroll. Joining one of these networks can help you find advertisers and simplify the process of creating and placing ads.
- Offer sponsorship opportunities: Another option is to offer sponsorship opportunities to your listeners. You can offer sponsorships for individual episodes or for a series of episodes, and include a sponsored message at the beginning or end of the show.
Remember that finding advertisers for your podcast takes time and effort, and it may not happen overnight. However, by focusing on creating high-quality content and building a loyal audience, you can attract advertisers who want to reach your listeners.
How to Sell Advertising Spots?
You can always sell the ad spots yourself, but finding a sponsor can be difficult. If you want to go this route, it’s a good idea to listen to other podcasts in your niche to see who the advertisers are, then contact the company’s public relations or marketing team to see if they’re interested in sponsoring your show.
Because many people are unfamiliar with what a podcast is and how it works, it’s usually easier to find an advertiser who already invests in podcast advertising.
Also consider sponsors who aren’t niche-specific but advertise on podcasts regularly.
Finally, if you are not in a hurry to sell your ad spots, you can always wait for advertisers to come to you. They will most likely come knocking if your show has a high iTunes rating. Advertisers who simply discovered the show and inquired about advertising on it have contacted me a few times.
Some Tips for Choosing an Advertiser
If you’ve listened to tens of thousands of podcasts in the last few years, or if you’ve been a podcaster for a long time, you’re well aware that bad advertising can kill a listener base. Take into account the following ideas:
- Only advertise for businesses that are relevant to your niche. Many listeners dislike advertisements for companies like payday loan companies or online casinos, and if it isn’t related to your topic, it could be a major distraction from the show.
- Sh…t is detectable by listeners. from a distance of a mile Your listeners will smell it out if you can’t wholeheartedly recommend a company or if you don’t use it yourself. Learn to love the product or service before you promote it. If you can’t, you’ll have to look for a new advertiser.
- Limit yourself to two podcast advertisements per episode. I’ve never found a podcast with more than two advertisements that I could listen to for an extended period of time.
How to increase more podcast Downloads to Attract Advertisers
Increasing your podcast downloads is a crucial step to attract advertisers, as it demonstrates the size of your audience and the potential reach of their ad. Here are some tips to increase your podcast downloads:
- Create high-quality content: The most important factor in attracting listeners and increasing downloads is to create high-quality content that engages your audience. This includes interesting topics, engaging guests, and well-produced audio.
- Optimize your show’s metadata: Metadata refers to the information that accompanies your podcast, such as the title, description, and tags. Make sure your metadata is accurate, descriptive, and includes relevant keywords to improve your show’s visibility in search results.
- Promote your podcast on social media: Social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook can be powerful tools for promoting your podcast and reaching new listeners. Share updates about new episodes, behind-the-scenes content, and engage with your audience to build a community around your show.
- Collaborate with other podcasters: Collaborating with other podcasters in your niche can help you reach new audiences and increase your downloads. Consider guesting on other podcasts, hosting crossover episodes, or appearing on panels or interviews.
- Offer incentives to your audience: Offering incentives such as exclusive content, early access to episodes, or discounts on merchandise can encourage your listeners to share your podcast with their friends and social media followers, which can help increase your downloads.
- Use paid advertising: Consider using paid advertising on platforms such as Facebook, Google, or podcast advertising networks to reach new listeners and increase your downloads.
Remember that increasing your podcast downloads takes time and effort, and it may not happen overnight. However, by focusing on creating high-quality content, promoting your show on social media, collaborating with other podcasters, offering incentives, and using paid advertising, you can attract a larger audience and attract advertisers who want to reach your listeners.
How Much Money Can a Podcast Advertisement Really Make You?
Advertisers must order both the pre-roll and mid-roll for each show, according to the majority of podcasters. So, per thousand downloads of your podcast, it’ll cost you $18 + $25 = $43 (US).
In terms of listenership, podcasts vary dramatically, but a good starting point is 2,000 monthly downloads for a smaller or newer show. 6,000 downloads per episode are typical for podcasts that are moderately active in terms of publishing and have a decent listenership.
An episode of a popular show on iTunes could receive anywhere from 15,000 to 75,000 downloads per episode.
Two advertisements would bring in $1,978 per episode if your show averages 24,000 downloads per episode. That means your show would earn $15,824 per month if you released two episodes per week and had two advertisers per show (which is typical).
Conclusion on How to Get People to Advertise on Your Podcast
In conclusion, getting people to advertise on your podcast requires a combination of factors. Firstly, you need to create high-quality content that engages and retains your listeners. It is important to identify your target audience, create a media kit and reach out to potential advertisers, either directly or through podcast advertising networks.
Collaborating with other podcasters, promoting your podcast on social media, and offering incentives to your listeners can also help increase your podcast downloads and attract advertisers.
It’s worth noting that building a successful podcast and attracting advertisers is not an overnight process, but a long-term effort that requires patience, hard work, and dedication.
By consistently producing great content and implementing effective promotion strategies, you can grow your audience and become an attractive platform for advertisers who want to reach your listeners.
Overall, the key is to focus on creating valuable content that connects with your audience and keeps them engaged, while being strategic in your outreach and promotion efforts to attract potential advertisers to your podcast.